Where do I start?
So you want to reach Mormons with the Biblical gospel of grace and truth, but you’re not sure where to start? The following is a list of published resources we recommend to equip you to reach Mormon friends, acquaintances, and strangers. Don’t feel overwhelmed. Just starting the learning journey in one place is all it takes.
Introductory Evangelical Books on Mormonism
- Mormonism Explained, by Andrew Jackson
A decent overview of the basic historical, cultural, and theological issues.
- Mormonism 101, by Bill McKeever
- Answering Mormons’ Questions, by Bill McKeever
- Is the Mormon My Brother?, by James White
- Letters to a Mormon Elder, by James White
- The Changing World of Mormonism, by Jerald and Sandra Tanner
- Mormonism – Shadow or Reality?, by Sandra Tanner
- Mormon Claims Answered, by Marv Cowan
- Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Quick Christian Guide to the Mormon Holy Book, by Ross Anderson
Evangelical Books on Evangelism to Mormons
- The Mormon Scrapbook, by Daniel Thompson
- Speaking the Truth in Love to Mormons, by Mark Cares
- Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Mormons, by Ron Rhodes
- The Bible vs. The Book of Mormon
- DNA vs. The Book of Mormon
- The Lost Book of Abraham
- Jesus Christ / Joseph Smith
- Lifting the Veil of Polygamy
Introductory Mormon Books
- Gospel Principles
A standard LDS Church manual summarizing the Mormon worldview. See here for a list of changes.
- True to the Faith
A compact guide to general Mormon concepts
- Articles of Faith, by James Talmage
Together with B.H. Roberts and John Widtsoe, James Talmage has done perhaps more than any other post-Brigham figure to shape Mormon theology.
- Jesus the Christ, James Talmage
- Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie
A seminal work summarizing much of conservative, traditional Mormon theology. It has been widely quoted in authoritative LDS Church manuals and continues to impact mainstream Mormon culture still today.
- The Miracle of Forgiveness, by Spencer W. Kimball
A classic presentation of Mormonism’s impossible gospel.
- An Insider’s View of Mormon Origins, by Grant Palmer
The best introduction available on early historical issues with Mormonism.
- By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus: A New Look at the Joseph Smith Papyri, by Charles Larson
- One Nation Under Gods: A History of the Mormon Church, by Richards Abanes
- Conflict in the Quorum: Orson Pratt, Brigham Young, Joseph Smith, by Gary James Bergera
- No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith, by Fawn Brodie
- Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, by Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery
- In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith, by Todd Compton
Academic Evangelical Engagement
- The New Mormon Challenge, edited by Francis Beckwith