For many years, many Mormon have denied that Joseph Smith used a “seer stone” to translate the Book of Mormon. They were led to believe that he used the “Urim and Thummim,” special instruments mentioned in the Old Testament, to aid him in the translation. Tenth Mormon President Joseph Fielding Smith was quite adament on the topic when he wrote:
While the statement has been made by some writers that the Prophet Joseph Smith used a seer stone part of the time in his translating of the record, and information points to the fact that he did have in his possession such a stone, yet there is no authentic statement in the history of the Church which states that the use of such a stone was made in that translation. The information is all hearsay, and personally, I do not believe that this stone was used for this purpose. The reason I give for this conclusion is found in the statement of the Lord to the Brother of Jared as recorded in Ether 3:22-24 (Doctrines of Salvation 3:225. Italics in original).
Did Joseph Smith use a magical seer stone as an aid to translating the Book of Mormon? This apostle who later became the tenth president of the church denied such a thing in 1954. However, according to today’s leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the stone was a tool used by Smith to do his translation. Read more.
Are you a questioning Latter-day Saint or former Latter-day Saint who feels alone? Do you feel like nobody else has ever gone through what has happened/is happening to you? We are hosting an initial support group meeting in Sandy, UT on October 10th. If you are interested, Read More.
Welcome to JosephsWives.com, a page that has been created to help people better understand the truth about the more than thirty wives of Joseph Smith. We invite you to look through the information we have made available here and see that what we are saying is historical fact, not anti-Mormon rhetoric. Read more.
Thanks to some sleuthing by former-Mormon-turned-Christian Alex Henriein in mid-July 2015, it has been verified that new print copies of The Miracle of Forgiveness authored by twelfth LDS President Spencer W. Kimball will no longer be available, even at retail outlets such as at LDS Church-owned Deseret Books or Amazon.com. Read more.
New to our site? Consider these articles to start with:
- Sign up for our free e-newletter, Mormonism Researched!
- MRM founder Bill McKeever Explains the Goals of MRM (Radio interview)
- Watch a video explaining our purpose in ministry
- Ways to explore MRM’s site
- Top 10 Articles–Check them out!
- Viewpoint on Mormonism past broadcasts catalog
- Quotes of the week compilation
- Speak Spanish (Espanol), German, or Russian? See our translated articles
- Find a recommended church in Utah
- The Million-Dollar Question: Is Mormonism Christian?
- Gospel Topics Essays
- Free email subscription to our newsletter, Mormonism Researched
For more Topics, click Articles at the top menu and pull down a topic. There are dozens of articles, videos, podcasts, and other resources from which to choose!
- Monday, August 24, 2015: Was Joseph Smith a Money Digger? Part 1
- Tuesday, August 25, 2015: Was Joseph Smith a Money Digger?Part 2
- Wednesday, August 26, 2015: Was Joseph Smith a Money Digger? Part 3
- Thursday, August 27, 2015: Was Joseph Smith a Money Digger? Part 4
- Friday, August 28, 2015: Was Joseph Smith a Methodist?
Join us on a tour of the Holy Land with archaeologist Joel Kramer. This is a 16-episode YouTube series helps you to undertand that the Bible really is true.
Come with CARM and MRM on an Apologetics Cruise next April 2016. The cruise on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line will port in Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Mexico. Each day there will be apologetics instruction taking place. (No donated funds to MRM are being used on this trip.)