By Eric Johnson
How high is your understanding of Mormonism, including its history and doctrines? See how well you do on these 11 questions. To be fair, write your answers down before looking at the answers. No googling or looking at your scriptures! (That’s cheating and a definite breaking of celestial law!)
- Which doctrine is referenced here: “To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—”
2. The first name mentioned in the book of Mormon is Nephi. Who is the second human being referenced in the Book of Mormon? (Hint: He was a king of Judah.)
3. Besides the obvious fact that they were both LDS general authorities, what is the link between tenth LDS President Joseph Fielding Smith and Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie?
4. The first three LDS temples–Kirtland, OH, 1832; Nauvoo, IL, 1846; and the Endowment House (baptistery only, Salt Lake City, UT, 1855)– were all destroyed. What is the first Utah temple built and dedicated on April 6, 1877 and still standing today?
5. Which doctrine did Brigham Young teach at the Tabernacle on April 9, 1852 when he said “every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later”? (Hint: This is found in Journal of Discourses 1:50).
6. What is the verse in the Bible used by Joseph Smith that led him to prayer in the Sacred Grove?
7. Assuming they are all alive when you are reading this question, how many living apostles are there in the LDS Church? (exact number required)
8. Most LDS temples have a statue of Moroni lifted up on a spire, aimed eastward. Several temples, such as Laie, Hawaii; Mesa, Arizona; and Cardston, Alberta, do not have spires, so they don’t feature any depiction of Moroni. Still several others don’t have a Moroni, such as St. George, Logan, and Manti, but they feature something else. What is it?
9. The final Doctrine and Covenant section came after Joseph Smith. Who wrote it? (Hint: It has to do with a vision this man claimed he had of Jesus visiting the spirits of the dead.)
10. Joseph Smith and his wife Emma lived at a family’s house and farm from 1831 to 1832. It is here where it is believed Smith received many revelations and faced serious opposition. The site is located in Hiram, OH, near Kirtland. What was the family’s last name?
11. Trivia time: What is seventeenth President Russell Nelson’s middle name?
Be sure you have answered all the questions before looking up the answers. When you’re ready, click here for the answers.